Original Company
Key Dates
Notes
Midland Railway
The station was opened at the same time as the main line from Chesterfield was opened in 1870 and had two platforms. This new station of 1870 was designed by the company architect John Holloway Sanders. The station was positioned above Effingham Street, although access was from a gated path from Leveson Street; an underpass led to an inclined bridge on to the Down platforms.

Opened by the Midland Railway, it became part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The station then passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways upon nationalisation in 1948.

When sectorisation was introduced in the 1980s, the station was served by Regional Railways in co-operation with the South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive until the privatisation of British Rail.

The decline of Sheffield's steel industry in the later half of the 20th century gradually reduced the passenger usage and made the station less and less needed. By the 1980s only certain morning and evening peak trains called at the station, as stopping trains there exacerbated capacity problems in the major bottleneck north of Sheffield Midland. By the early 1990s this lack of trains had caused the station's patronage to dwindle to a level at which closure was easily justified, again with line capacity constraints being quoted as the reason, with the end coming in 1995.
Sheffield Midland
(open)
Attercliffe Road
1995
Brightside
1995
sorry, no images yet
Route Map
this line of texts forces gap between bottom of page and footer
Closed 1995
Openend 1st February 1870
Project South Yorkshire