ORIGINAL COMPANY
KEY DATES
NOTES
Midland Railway

OPENED

1st November 1838

CLOSED

1995

 

 

 

 

 

 

Brightside railway station is a former railway station in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. The station served the communities of Brightside and Wincobank and was situated on the Midland Main Line on Holywell Road, lying between Attercliffe Road and Holmes railway station.

The station opened on 1 November 1838,[1] at the same time as the Sheffield and Rotherham Railway from Wicker station and had two platforms although four tracks went through. The two outside tracks were for freight use whilst the two inside tracks were used by both stopping and express trains.

Despite the opening of Meadowhall Interchange in 1990, the station remained open until 1995.[2] A limited service had continued in its last three years and the station closed without fanfare with a poster announcing that all remaining trains could be caught at Meadowhall.

Both platforms remain today albeit stripped of their features and in a bad state of repair; the standard South Yorkshire style bus shelters which had replaced the station buildings by the early 1980s were removed in early 2006. The footbridge remains open a public right of way from Dearne Street to Station Lane, however access to the platforms has been blocked off since the station's closure.
Attercliffe Road
1995
Brightside
1995
Wincobank & Meadowhall
2nd April 1956
sorry, no images yet
ROUTE MAP
 
BRIGHTSIDE
this line of texts forces gap between bottom of page and footer
Project South Yorkshire